Linggo, Enero 26, 2014

It's Not So Smart to use Smartphones at Night


WANTED:
  • People who own smartphones and use them before going to bed
  • People who claim to be sleep deprived
  • People who want and/or need to be productive but just can't

If the conditions stated above fit your bill, then this blog post is for you! One study shows how late night use of smartphones diminish a person's productivity level come the next day. This is consequent to the fact that smartphones emit 'blue light' which hinders the production of melatonin - the chemical responsible for #PUSHing for relaxation and sleep. (What random hashtags)

Check the article here: http://ph.she.yahoo.com/blogs/shine-on/smartphone-night-harms-productivity-next-day-214744030.html

At this day and age where everything is just so digital and fast-paced, workers and even students alike feel the need to be updated on happenings by the minute. We feel insecure about the notifications we might miss specially if it's coming from our work. Personally, I struggle with late night posts and announcements from teachers and groupmates for various instances due to the fact that I sleep early. With the advent of smartphones, checking my email and social media accounts became the first and last thing I do before and after I sleep. 

There is a problem, however. With wanting to be productive even at the wee hours of the night, sleep is being compromised, thus resulting to a lower productivity level the next day. It simply follows that by not getting enough sleep, we will have fewer energy to get us through the day and we don't want that. To properly and quickly get sleep, we must detach ourselves from all forms of mental activities which includes work anxiety and engagement with our phones.

Bottomline is that smartphone usage has an effect on our brain activities. It would be smart to steer clear of using our phones before retiring at night to make the most out of our recharching time. Also, it might also be smart to avoid burying your phone under your pillow when you sleep because of the radiation. 

One side I'd like to check though is whether or not it is benefitial to use smartphones upon waking up to get our minds working. I mean, as a person who snoozes around five times before actually getting out of bed, maybe I can use this effect to reduce my sleepiness in the morning. Who knows no? If it works maybe it would lessen my tardiness in my morning classes.




5 komento:

  1. Sobrang guilty ako dito. :< Before sleeping and immediately after waking, cellphone agad. Instant updates kasi eh. Maalat lang na dependent na ako, and maybe most of us, sa technology :<
    Also, gumagana sakin yung magse-cellphone agad pagkagising tapos di na ko aantukin. Hehe. Try mo riiiiiin!

    Great find, Cho!!! Sobrang saya lagi basahin ng blogs mo!

    TumugonBurahin
  2. People should be able to control or limit themselves when it comes to using technology. In addition to your post, I believe that people become more tired for the next day because of the abundance of distractions found on the internet. Most people today connect to the internet with their smartphones instead of a laptop or desktop computer because of its portability. This means that they can easily and quickly browse the internet, either for work or just for fun. As a result, it takes them more time just to be productive.

    TumugonBurahin
  3. well this is a good read! there have been rumors about this spreading around for quite some time. With technology these days especially with smartphones, everything seems to be at the palm of ones hands. From calling, texting, chatting, playing games and many many more. It would be really difficult to separate a user who really does depend on his phone especially a workaholic. This actually affected me since before i go to sleep i usually text and set the alarm. With these facts perhaps i'll be lessening the usage of my phone and maybe set the alarm at an early time.

    TumugonBurahin
  4. I love my phone, but I also love sleeping. Huhuhuhu But yeah, I agree with this article. It explains why I feel so tired after I wake up in the morning coming from a night's extensive usage of my laptop and phone. I use my devices to help me fall asleep but it's kinda ironic that they're ones that make me unproductive; complete opposite of why they were created in the first place. This entry just help me reassure my decision in lessing my tech device usage during the night, and I might just read a book or listen to music instead. haha

    TumugonBurahin
  5. Dude, sobrang lol. It's like nowadays, we log off real life to log on internet life. Its so sad to see a cafe full of people texting and ignoring the same people they sit with. It's like being in a room full of robots. Worse is when you're about to sleep and your partner faces the other way and the only thing staring at you is the glare of their phone.

    TumugonBurahin